Anti Spyware Resource Center:
The Truth About Preventing and Removing Spyware
Welcome to our Anti Spyware Resource Center
The spread of spyware has become much more than a nuisance. It has now reached
the level of an epidemic.
In fact, a recent study found that over 80% of all PC’s contain spyware — and
most of these PC owners were unaware that the spyware had been installed on
Some spyware is relatively harmless. However, a good deal of spyware can be
very dangerous, leaking your very private and confidential information to scammers
and other people.
We created the Internet ScamBusters Anti Spyware Resource Center to help you
gain the knowledge you need to keep your computer — and your information —
safe and private.
Knowing how spyware works and which programs to fight spyware with are both
important. You’ll find both kinds of information here.
What Every PC Owner Needs to Know About Spyware
Before we give you links to articles with specific information about spyware,
we decided to summarize our most important findings and recommendations — what
every PC owner really needs to know about spyware:
– Spyware and adware are difficult to find and remove — even for the best dedicated
– Prevention is much better than finding and removing spyware. Acquire good
habits to avoid installing spyware on your computer.
– No single spyware tool catches all spyware. In a recent study, the best spyware
removal tool missed 25% of the ‘critical’ files and Registry entries.
– You need to use more than one spyware removal tool.
– No combination of free spyware removal tools we’ve seen will find and remove
all spyware. Spyware removal software is like virus protection software in that
it needs to be updated very frequently. Free tools just don’t keep up.
– If you only want a free solution, run AdAware along with an older version
of Spybot. The most recent versions of Spybot have some important problems,
and did not do well in finding and removing spyware in recent tests.
– One good solution, if you are willing to buy a license, is Spysweeper. Run
this along with AdAware (either the free or paid version). Other good solutions
include Pest Patrol and Giant AntiSpyware.
– Use FireFox rather than Internet Explorer as your browser. We’ve written about
this in past issues of Internet ScamBusters. For example, visit this article
about why FireFox is recommended over Internet
In order to help you become more informed, here is a list of some of the most
important articles that can aide you in the battle against spyware:
What You Need to Know About Spyware:
Learn what spyware really is, how it can infect a computer, what it does, and
how you can protect yourself
How good is AdAware at providing real time protection against spyware and other
Eliminates Spyware: Does Spysweeper have everything you need to remove
The Hidden Cost Behind Free
Spyware: Learn what lies hidden within some free spyware removal
tools and other free software such as media players, free utilities, and much